The Utah Division of Water Resources is currently accepting applications for three-year pilot projects through our new Transparent Water Billing Grant Program. This program was established to:
- implement water billing practices that inform customers on their water use in an easy-to-understand manner
- engage customers in water conservation practices
- increase transparency and ease of public access to water use data
Water providers have shown reductions in water use of 5-18% after implementing transparent water billing practices and innovations. Strategies include providing the customer with comparisons of current use to past use, providing a clear breakdown of charges or providing an online bill calculator that allows customers to determine how their bill could be reduced by implementing various conservation measures
Funds must be used to create or expand education and outreach on water use through customer billing, increase customer engagement in water conservation practices through billing and other applications, and increase transparency and public accessibility to water use data.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Applying is not a guarantee of receiving grant funds. Applications will be prioritized by their potential to reach users in an engaging and effective method as well as a successful plan to track and report program outcomes.
These one-time funds are available to retail water providers within the state of Utah that have a current water conservation plan filed with the Utah Division of Water Resources.
- Minimum of 15 percent cost share from project applicant(s)
- Provide baseline water use data (3 years prior to start of and throughout the duration of the project)
- Outline of methods used to track water use data
- Outdoor irrigation is a required component of the pilot projects
- Final report must include a summary of program effectiveness and lessons learned
Email (preferred) or mail completed applications to:
Josh Zimmerman, Water Conservation Coordinator
Division of Water Resources
PO Box 146201
Salt Lake City, UT 84114